CIVL Plenary 2022 took place in Belgrade
FAI Hang gliding and Paragliding Commission (CIVL) annual plenary meeting took place in Belgrade, Serbia, from January 27 to 30, 2022. The meeting was also live via Zoom with participants who had travel difficulties or were busy with competition activities. The meeting was also attended by the FAI President and the Secretary-General who has contributed the latest information from the Federation's perspective. As usual, the meeting itself was preceded by the open meeting of various working groups: Paragliding, Hang gliding, Joint Paragliding and Hang gliding, Paragliding accuracy, Software and Scoring formula.
The delegates studied the issues raised in the past year and worked out ways to progress:
- Junior sport development. In PG XC and PG Accuracy the age is raised up to 26 years old. Pilots can compete in stand-alone or integrated junior championships
- Gender neutrality in the Sporting code. It will be a reality soon
- Category 1 competitions fairness issues. Allocation, equipment availability, stand alone team and women events...
- Airspace infringement in the XC competitions and penalties for cloud flying
- XC calculation of the task distance
- IGC Tracklogs interval
- Maximum number of participants in Cat 1 PG XC. Lowered to 130
- PG Aerobatics Section 7B. Quite a few changes
- CIVL new Event management and ranking system (civlcomps.org). It is launched. The project will be continued to provide a better tool for organisers and CIVL, at the service of NAC and pilots.
- Strategy work group. To focus on the general issues the CIVL is now facing, including financial.
Seven category 1 championships were awarded by acclamation:
- 18th FAI European Paragliding Championships - Pegalajar, Andalucia, Spain.
- 6th FAI Pan-American Paragliding Championships - Sierra del Velazco, La Rioja, Argentina.
- 8th FAI European Paragliding Accuracy Championships - Leningrad Region, Russia.
- 1st FAI World Junior Paragliding Championships - Tolmin, Slovenia.
- 1st FAI Asian-Oceanic Paragliding Championships - Mungyeong, Gyeongsangbuk-do, Republic of Korea
- 1st FAI Pan-American Paragliding Accuracy Championships - Piedechinche, Valle del Cauca, Colombia
- 21st FAI World Hang Gliding Class 2 Championship - Aspres-sur-Buesch, France.
The organizers of the 3rd FAI World Paragliding Aerobatic Championships - Aero Club Lega Piloti, Aero Club Blue Phoenix and Volo Libero Friuli ASD - were awarded an FAI Air Sport Medal.
The next CIVL Plenary will take place in Porto, Portugal, on March 2 to 5, 2023.
More info to come.